Crops to plant in Sandy, clayey and loamy soil; types of soil and properties
This article, crops to plant in Sandy, clayey and loamy soil gives a full information on the different types of soil and the best one for growing each crop.
The soil is the uppermost layer of earth in which plants grow. It is a black or dark brown material typically consisting of a mixture of organic remains, clay, and rock particles.
Crops to plant in Sandy, clayey and loamy soil
Types of soil and properties
There are three major types of soil particles; sand, Clay and loam soil.
In Sandy soil, there are more percentage of sand particles than in the other soil types.
Properties of Sandy soil
1. It is coarse grained
2. It has low plant nutrient
3. It drains easily
4. Sandy soil easily gets hot and cold
5. White in colour
6. It does not support erosion
7. It has highly acidic
8. It does not support waterlogging
9. Leaching is high
Ways of improving Sandy soil
1. By mulching the soil: this prevents lose of nutrient and evaporation of water.
2. Planting cover crops: this will help prevent evaporation and add nutrient to the soil.
3. Application of compost.
This type of soil contains more than 40% Clay particles with a mixture of fine sand and silt.
Properties of clayey soil
1. It is plastic in nature
2. It is fine grained
3. Poorly drained and aerated
4. High water holding capacity
5. Low possibility of leaching
6. It is highly stick when wet.
7. Usually light brown in colour .
8. It supports waterlogging.
9. It is usually fertile and good for farming.
10. It is alkaline and has a high proportion of mineral ions.
This soil is a mixture of sand, clay and silt on a fairly balance. It is an artificial soil.
Properties of loamy soil
1. It contains all the other soil types.
2. It is rich in plant nutrient.
3. It withstands draughts for a fair period of time.
4. It is well aerated.
5. It has high water holding capacity.
6. It is alkaline in nature.
7. It has colours ranging from brown to dark brown or black.
8. It is the best soil for farming
Best crops to grow in Sandy, clayey and loamy soil
Best crops to grow in Sandy soil
Crops varieties such as vegetables, Cowpea, cotton, groundnut, cassava, melon, beans, watermelon etc can be grown in Sandy soil.
Best crops to grow in clayey soil
These are the best crops to grow in clayey soil; Cocoyam, Yam, maize, rice, cucumber, tomato, okro, banana, plantain, orange, cocoa, rubber.
Best crops to grow in loamy soil
Maize, cassava, watermelon, tomato, pepper, onions, carrot, yam, potatoes, pineapple, pawpaw, melon.